Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How to cut a pineapple


They're back....! 


Fresh fruits are popping up all over the place and I'm in heaven.  My excitement started the other weekend when MGG and I drove down to the beach and on the way through the canyon I saw my first fresh strawberry stand on the side of the road!  Yipee!  We quickly came to a stop and got out.  The smell of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries permeated the air.  HEAVEN!  I love that smell.  I really really do.


So we bought some.  And I've been in heaven ever since. Using them in my breakfast yogurt, as an ingredient for a fresh dessert, anything I can think of really.


But I wasn't done buying fruit from only the stand.  We had to visit a local fresh market and pick up some veggies...and a pineapple.  Pineapples are a childhood favorite of mine.  Oh, and pineapple juice?  Don't get me started!


Which brings me to my post.  So many people ask me how to cut a pineapple?  So I'd love to show you.  It's easy, once you understand that the core of the fruit runs down the middle of the fruit vertically.


So here we go.


Make sure your have a sharp knife.  A dull one can be dangerous.


1) Lob off the top.






2) Taking your knife run it down the side of the pineapple following the outline of the fruit, to remove the skin.






3) Continue removing to skin around all sides of the fruit until all the flesh is exposed.  Cut off the bottom as well.






4) Now you need to remove the core.  The core is located in the middle running vertically.  Feel it...it should be very hard compared to the flesh on the outside, which is less resistant.  Cut vertical cuts down the side of the core. 






5) Work around the four sides, until the core is left.  See, I'm holding the core...
Throw the core away. 




6) Cut the remaining wedges in long spears (or chunks if you like!)






7) Store any leftover pineapple in a airtight container and store in the frig.






Voila!  Enjoy your pineapple!


Come back tomorrow...we'll have a smoothie with this pineapple...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...