Friday, September 14, 2012

Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu



It's over 100 degrees here...every...single...day...and I'm still gonna grill.

When I was 13 years old I had my first taste of something I thought was the most elegant dish, Chicken Cordon Bleu.  I mean, even the name alone sounds so elegant.  Doesn't it?  One bite of that moist chicken stuffed with ham and cheese, all rolled in bread crumbs...heaven!  I just love the flavor combination.  For a chicken dish this is my Filet Mignon!  (and I'm a deep Filet Mignon lover, so that's saying a lot!)  

So when I came across this recipe from Cuisine Grilling for a new twist on my favorite "elegant' dish I knew immediately that I had to make it.  The best part is that it has a summertime twist...it's grilled!  So that helps in beating this never ending heat that we are having for the past month.  



This recipe still has all the flavors I love.  The ham and cheese inside with a new addition of a Dijon vinaigrette.  This vinaigrette just pulls it over the top!  Make sure to drizzle it over your vegetables too, it's that good!

The original dish has a chicken breast rolled with the ham and cheese inside and then coasted in bread crumbs.  To grill this dish without losing all the cheese you need to create a deep pocket down the middle of the chicken and then stuff it.  It works brilliantly!

MGG just about died and went to heaven when he took a bite of this dish.  The flavors are so comforting, and the grilling gives it a new slightly smokey flavor which enhances the taste.  I served along with some grilled green beans, and grilled red potato wedges.  Recipes for the side dishes will follow soon.  This is a meal the whole family will love and perfect for company.


So, fire up your grill and make yourself and "elegant" summertime dish with this Grilled chicken Cordon Bleu!




Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu

adapted from Cuisine Grilling
serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
4 slices of thinly sliced deli ham
4 slices of Swiss cheese
Dijon mustard
salt and black pepper

For the vinaigrette:

2 T white wine vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T honey
2 T olive oil
1 T minced fresh thyme
salt and pepper

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.

Cut a pocket into each chicken breast by inserting a knife blade into the thick end of the breast.  Sweep the blade back and forth, cutting the opening larger, being careful not to cut through the end, top, or bottom.

Layer a slice of ham with a slice of cheese.  Roll them up together and insert into the pockets.  Brush each breast with Dijon mustard, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Grill chicken 6-9 minutes per side, with the lid down, or until cooked through.

Meanwhile, whisk together the white wine vinegar, Dijon, honey, olive oil, and thyme.  Season with salt and pepper. 

To serve, drizzle vinaigrette over chicken.

3 comments:

  1. Done in an oven that was one of my favorite recipes to make as a teen. I will try it on the grill. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny I was going through the recipes in my food party and stopped to take a look at pinterest and I pinned this chicken without even realizing it was in the party. Looks really delicious can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just recreated this yummy goodness for my own blog. Please check it out at Pinterest365. Don't worry I gave you all the credit! Thanks for sharing this very yummy recipe. My husband was a HUGE fan!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...