Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mediterranean Chicken


I had the great pleasure of being off from work last week in between the holidays.  Boy, was that nice!  I got to do several things I don't normally have time for, such as re-organizing and sorting out no longer used clothes and household items for the donation bins.  It feels really good to get rid of stuff.  You just feel lighter and less cluttered.  

But I did save some time out for some real fun, like visiting the Cleopatra exhibit on display at the California Science Center.   I've been wanting to go forever, and it's about to leave....so now was my chance.  It was a cold and windy day here, but out I went, all bundled up.  the exhibit was terrific.  The statues, the gold, the jewelry!  Awesome to see.




So after the museum it was back out into the cold and home for some comforting food for lunch.    All this Egyptian art got me to thinking grains...and chicken...and Mediterranean flavors.  (Not Egyptian but it was a tangent!) There I was rooting through the refrigerator to see what was on hand to make something with the flavors I was craving yet still provide a hot comforting meal.  One thing led to another and this Mediterranean dish was born.  



This is full of good for you ingredients.  Brown rice, lean chicken, zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes.  Add some spice for zip and you have a nice skillet meal that is hot and comforting.  Especially on a cold day.  This dish tastes as flavorful as it is beautiful.  A smart little side salad, which is now known as the Cleopatra salad, is a great accompaniment  Look for that recipe soon.  



So I hope this inspires you to get in the kitchen and make your family some Mediterranean Chicken.  It will please you to no end!




Mediterranean Chicken

Serves 4

1 c brown rice, uncooked
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized cubes
1/2 t coarse ground black pepper
2 T olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 c zucchini, cut lengthwise and sliced in half moons
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c onion, diced
1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice
1 c reduced sodium chicken broth
1 T dried oregano
1/2 t salt

Cook rice according to package directions. 

Sprinkle chicken with black pepper.  Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and heat.  Saute chicken in a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring often.  Remove from pan to a plate.

Add the other 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet along with the garlic.  Saute for 30 seconds and add zucchini, mushrooms and onion.  Saute about 5 minutes.  Return chicken back to the skillet along with diced tomatoes.  Add broth, oregano and salt.  Stirring to combine.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 6-7 minutes, reducing the liquid until 1/4 cup.  Add cooked rice to skillet and mix well.  Serve hot.  



10 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and I'm so glad I saw this post. I think I've got everything on hand to make this! Thanks for sharing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried this twice, once with brown rice and once with quinoa. Both turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zucchini is a courgette here in England - I wish we here had some of your ingredients that you have in America. Thanks for this recipe that Brits like me can understand. Will be making this tasty dish for husband soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this tonight doubled up on some things but turned out great. I will be making this again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is delicious! I will definitely be making it again. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I are not crazy about Zucchini, anything that would make a good replacement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, try another vegetable that you like such as green beans, red bell pepper, jarred roasted bell peppers, eggplant, or sliced onion. Or just leave the zucchini out with no substitution. Hope you make this and enjoy it.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...