Saturday, January 30, 2016

Dad's Breakfast Potatoes


As you may or may not know, I'm a lover of breakfast.

I confess, grudgingly, that I tend to lean toward the sweets such as muffins, pancakes, waffles, quick breads, and such. BUT, I do love a hearty savory meal full of eggs, and toast, and potatoes.

Growing up with parents from Oklahoma, where the biscuits and gravy ran deep, we had many a meal of eggs, potatoes, toast or biscuits, and sausage (or bacon)!  Some of my memories of breakfast surround the family time spent together in the kitchen and at the table sharing this wonderful meal.


Today I want to talk about my dad.  Although he wasn't the cook in the family, that was my mom's forte, my dad was no slouch in the kitchen.  He knew he way around a skillet that's for sure!  Some of the dishes I still make today come from my dad, and his cooking 101 lessons he would give me growing up.

Breakfast Potatoes is one of my favorite things he's taught me.  He had this unique way of cutting the potatoes so they looked like half moons.  I always that that was so cool when I was young and loved the shape of them.  They felt special. Little did I know then that it was just small potatoes cut in half and then sliced.  Small enough to make half moon shapes! Oh well, I'll stick with my fantasy thoughts of dad's half moon slices.  I like the sentimental memories it brings.


These potatoes are quite simple to make, and have to be the best breakfast potatoes around!  You can serve them for breakfast lunch or dinner cause they go with everything. Everything is done in a nice cast iron skillet.  Nothing special, just good ingredients, a little patience, and a dish worth savoring!

I hope you enjoy my Dad's Breakfast Potatoes as much as I do.




Dad's Breakfast Potatoes


serves 4

3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 lb. red potatoes, cut into 1" pieces - skins left on
salt & pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp parsley

In a large cast iron skillet over medium low add canola oil to heat.  Add the diced onion and potatoes and cook covered for 20-25 minutes, or until tender on the inside but crispy on the outside, stirring occasionally.  

Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add the paprika and parsley, stirring to coat. Serve.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...