Friday, January 22, 2016

Winter Comfort Food: Chicken Noodle Casserole


Winter nights call for comfort food.

And comfort food reminds me of my mom's homemade egg noodles.  We had them every holiday and they really say "comfort".  Even better than this dish was her addition of leftover turkey to the noodles for an all in one comfort food meal.  It was sort of like a chicken pot pie filling without the veggies...noodles, turkey, and a thick chicken broth.  I can just see it, and my mouth is watering!

So I was digging through my mom's recipe box the other day and came across a scribbled recipe on an old card titled "Chicken Noodle Casserole".  I not sure where this came from but I definitely know why she kept it so long.  It's a reminder of our leftover turkey and noodles! A chicken version, and without all the work of making homemade egg noodles.


The memories came flooding back as I read the recipe and I knew this was next on my list of dishes to make.  It's simple to put together using leftover shredded chicken, or you can get a rotisserie chicken to help you out.  Then just buy a wide egg noodle that you like, to compliment the dish.  The rest are creamy ingredients such as sour cream, milk, cheese, butter.  Add a little aromatics and spices and you have one yummy casserole. (Need I say more?)


So I made this and I wasn't disappointed one bit!  It was everything I thought it would be.  Creamy, tasty, hot and comforting.  The noodles combined with the chicken and all the creaminess is a combo you can't beat.  It brought me back, and now we can have that comforting feeling anytime we want!

This is a dish the whole family will love.  Enjoy this on a cold winter night!





Chicken Noodle Casserole

serves 6

2 cups wide egg noodles, uncooked
2 Tbls oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 tsp powdered garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbls flour
1 cup milk
3 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
salt & pepper
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a saucepan cook noodles according to package directions. 

Meanwhile, In a medium sauce pan add oil and heat over medium heat.  Add onion and saute until softened.  Add garlic and red pepper flakes.  Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to cook the flour slightly.  Add milk and 2 cups of cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted.  Season with salt & pepper.

Drain your noodles and place them in a bowl.  Add the chicken, sour cream to the noodles noodles.  Add the cheese mixture and stir to combine.  Pour into a 9x13 (sprayed with cooking spray) casserole dish.  Top with 1 cup of cheese. Bake 30 minutes.  Serve.



1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what the 'winter' doctor ordered for the perfect comfort food! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...