Monday, November 4, 2013

Chili Mac


 Do you have a gazillion recipes pinned on Pinterest?

I think I have a gazillion and one...

So it's high time that I make some of these fabulous dishes I keep drooling over.  

Flipping through my boards, I was looking for some comfort food.  Something I could make in under 30 minutes yet be satisfied.  Something that reminds me of fall.



Tall order?  Not really.  One of my favorite bloggers is Kristen of Iowa Girl Eats.  She is an amazingly good cook.  I love reading her blog and I find my self getting hungry staring at all the wonderful dishes she makes.  

Today's dish is one I "pinned"  from Iowa Girl Eats.  Her Skillet Chili Mac and Cheese sounded like heaven on earth.  



This is my adaptation of Kirsten's soulfully comforting dish.  It's perfect during the cool fall evenings.  You can make this during the week with no problems.  A plus is that it is all made in one skillet!  No joke!  Best part?  The FLAVOR baby!

Enjoy!




Chili Mac


Serves 3-4


Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

½ lb ground sirloin
1 shallot, small diced
1 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz  petite diced tomatoes, slightly drained
3 T tomato paste
7 oz kidney beans, drained & rinsed
2 c low-sodium beef broth
1 ½ t chili powder
1 t cumin
½ t paprika
½ t dried cilantro
1 /4 t salt
¼  t dried oregano
1 c elbow macaroni
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
2 T King Arthur Vermont Cheese Powder
Toppings: shredded cheese, cilantro 


Add ground beef, onion, and garlic to a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt & pepper then cook beef until no longer pink. Drain then return to the skillet.


Add petite diced tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, beef broth, and spices to the skillet. Bring to a boil then add macaroni noodles and place a lid on top. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until noodles are just barely al dente (do not overcook,) stirring once. Add cheese then stir until smooth. Let dish sit off the heat and thicken for 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...