Saturday, August 25, 2012

Diner Night: Old Fashioned Steak Fingers


On the menu: Old Fashioned Steak Fingers with Roasted Oven Fries and some milk gravy as a dipping sauce.  Simple, deliscious, comfort food! - Slice of Southern


Friday night was "Diner Night" at our house.

I was surfing some great blogs when I came across a recipe on Miz Helen's Country Cottage that just brought back memories of visiting my relatives in Texas and Oklahoma and eating diner food. We used to drive from California when I was little to go see my relatives and stop at many diners along the way.  The more toward Texas or Oklahoma we got the bigger the food, and the more Steak Fingers I ate.  Or chicken fried steak for that matter!  

Steak Fingers was always a popular dish growing up.  My Mom to this day loves Steak Fingers, and often gets them at a local drive thru.

So feeling nostalgic I thought I'd whip up some good ole diner food at home.  On the menu: Old Fashioned Steak Fingers with Roasted Oven Fries and some milk gravy as a dipping sauce.  


On the menu: Old Fashioned Steak Fingers with Roasted Oven Fries and some milk gravy as a dipping sauce.  Simple, deliscious, comfort food! - Slice of Southern


Simple, delicious, comfort food.  What a great way to end the week!  Makes you feel all warm and cozy inside eating a meal like this.  So bringing back all the memories was a blast.  MGG enjoyed my stories of travels and all the good times me and my family had.  And let's not forget the food!


On the menu: Old Fashioned Steak Fingers with Roasted Oven Fries and some milk gravy as a dipping sauce.  Simple, deliscious, comfort food! - Slice of Southern



Thanks Miz Helen for the wonderful incentive to remake this comforting dish!!!  Make sure to go visit her and say "hi!" She has such a terrific site!

Go here for the recipe on the Roasted Oven Fries.

So tell me, what is your favorite dish you remember from your past that just brings back good memories?




Old Fashioned Steak Fingers

Adapted from Miz Helen's Kitchen

1 pound cube steak, cut into strips
2 cups flour (of your choice)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
dash cayenne pepper
2 eggs, beaten
Canola oil for frying

Mix the flour, cornmeal, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a dish or pie pan. Beat 2 eggs and place in a separate dish or pie pan.

Heat oil to the depth of about ¼ inch in a large skillet until hot over medium –high heat.

Dip the steak into the flour and cornmeal mixture. Shake off any excess. Then dip it into the egg. Next dip it back into the flour mixture.

Add your Steak Fingers to the oil at a time and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. The heat should be a little on the high side (medium high) so that the meat, which is thin, cooks pretty quickly, crisps well, and does not absorb a lot of oil.

Remove and drain on a paper towel. Serve alongside oven roasted fries and milk gravy as a dipping sauce.



Shared with: Weekend Potluck


On the menu: Old Fashioned Steak Fingers with Roasted Oven Fries and some milk gravy as a dipping sauce.  Simple, deliscious, comfort food! - Slice of Southern
On the menu: Old Fashioned Steak Fingers with Roasted Oven Fries and some milk gravy as a dipping sauce.  Simple, deliscious, comfort food! - Slice of Southern

8 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,
    I am so glad that you enjoyed the Old Fashioned Steak Fingers. It is a great post and thank you so much for linking back. I have been visiting in the Northwest and I am ready for some Steak Fingers. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks for the post!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this meal quite a bit. Except I put a little milk in with the eggs. Then I dip the steak in the milk/egg mixture. Cover it in flour. Return to the milk/egg mixture, and then bread it with finely ground bread crumbs. They are so delicious, especially with a side of oven roasted fries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this recipe on Pinterest a long time ago and finally decided to make them about a month ago, 2 days later my hubby asked when I was going to make them again. I've made them once since then and plan on making them again next week. They are so good. Thanks for such a great recipe!
    -Elizabeth, Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this dish Elizabeth! I must say it's a staple in our house!

      Delete
  4. this is the same recipe I use for my fried green tomatoes I think I will have to give it a try with steak ty for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poly, let me know how it turns out. This is a great breading recipe that you can use on chicken and pork too!

      Delete
  5. It was great! I had plenty of leftover breading so I mixed with some baking powder, egg, milk and little sour cream (just because I had some) and made thick batter and fried them up! It was so good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...