Friday, January 10, 2014

Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, and Noodle Stir Fry

Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, and Noodle Stir Fry  - an easy, healthy, weeknight meal! - Slice of Southern

How are everyone's New Year's Resolutions doing?

I always vow to eat healthier in the new year and I think each year I get better at it!  It's certainly not easy when it's cold outside and all you want is some comfort food.

So, the other day I treated my self to one of my small vices.  Buying a cookbook!  My new thing is to go to the bookstore and browse through the Special Interest Publications in the the magazine section that are filled with recipes...no adds. Yeah!

I'm really loving these lately.  It gives me my recipe fix without buying a whole book, although I must say I'm getting quite a collection of them.

Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, and Noodle Stir Fry  - an easy, healthy, weeknight meal! - Slice of Southern


The one I picked up was BHG's Eat Well, Lose Weight.  Sounds good right?  Just in time for my resolutions. So I spotted a recipe for a Brussels Sprouts stir fry with noodles and got inspired to create my own stir fry.  I rarely use noodles in my dish, but thought, why not?  I like them, they're easy, and they absorb flavor well so they taste great.  You can break up spaghetti in to 1 inch pieces, or you might just find some already broken sold in the pasta aisle, like I did.  How easy is that?

I had left over chicken breasts which I shredded and added to the stir fry of veggies.  I also added some cashews for crunch.  All in all this was a wonderful dish that both MGG and I enjoyed very much.  You get lots of veggies in this dish that are great for you.

Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, and Noodle Stir Fry  - an easy, healthy, weeknight meal! - Slice of Southern

Another satisfying dish to stay on track this coming year.  I will make this over and over again!

Enjoy!


Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, and Noodle Stir Fry 

adapted from BHG's Eat Well, Lose Weight

serves 4-6



3 ounces thin spaghetti

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 medium red onion, fine dice

3 cloves garlic, minced

12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast

¼ cup cashews

1/4 crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/2 cup shredded carrots

Garnish with chopped cilantro



Break spaghetti into 1-inch pieces.  Cook according to package directions and drain.  Return to the hot pan, keep warm.  
  

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, add oil.   Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.  Add the Brussels sprouts, ginger, chicken, cashews and red pepper flakes.  Cook, stirring for about 3 minutes.  Add the broth and soy sauce.  Allow to boil and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes (stirring occasionally). Remove from heat. 


Stir in cooked spaghetti and carrots, stirring to combine.  Top with cilantro before serving.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...