Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chicken Pasta Primavera





The other day I was reading an older post by Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats.  I was so amazed that she could run around all day long, pregnant no less, and come home and whip together a wonderful dish such as this Pasta Primavera.  

I said to myself I could do that can't I?  Hmmm, well after running around all day long I just might be a bit tired...and not want to cook this delicious meal.  Wow then it hit me...duh...you are not 20 something anymore!

Feeling better about being tired after running around all day I was still inspired to stop by Sprouts to pick up a few odds and ends to make a rendition of her Pasta Primavera.


 So glad I did!  This dish is a little indulgent, but I think all the veggies cancel that out.  Don't you think?  Well anyway I did lessen the carb count by using my favorite pasta, Dreamfields.  Have you heard of it?  It's a durum wheat semolina pasta that is low in digestible carbs and high in fiber.  You CAN NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE....swear!  No one can!

The dish is easy to put together and tastes so fresh with all the farm seasonal veggies.  I added some chicken cause I'm a protein junkie and it gave it a wonderful heartiness, yet the dish is still light and tasty.  I used some leftover roasted chicken that I had made the day before.  I just love making extra chicken for dishes such as this.


This was such a wonderful dish.  I hope you try it soon.  If you get a chance go say "Hi!" to Kristen and take a look at all the wonderful food she makes.  

Enjoy!



Chicken Pasta Primavera

adapted from IowaGirlEats.com
 
Serves 4

½  lb rotini (or other short-cut pasta)
1 1/2 c broccoli florets
1 c trimmed and chopped asparagus, about 10 thin spears
2 T olive oil
2 T butter
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 yellow summer squash, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c cherry tomatoes, red and yellow
1 1/2 c of cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
salt and pepper
1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 half & half
1/4 Parmesan cheese


Add pasta to a large pot of salted, boiling water. When pasta has 2 minutes left, add broccoli florets and chopped asparagus. Cook for 2 additional minutes then drain and return to the pot.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat then add onion, season and then saute until translucent, 5 minutes. Add squash, and saute until slightly softened, 4 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes then saute until tomatoes are warm and slightly bursting, 5 minutes.  Add chicken to heat through, about 3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Add chicken broth to the skillet, let reduce for 1 minute, then add pasta, broccoli, and asparagus to the skillet. Add half & half, and Parmesan cheese stirring to combine. Turn off heat and let sauce thicken for 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...