Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cheesy Potato Soup (Cooking for Two)


I just bought a new slow cooker.  A cute little 2 1/2 qt one.  One for just me and my man.  Small little intimate meals.

Actually that sounds nice and all but I bought with the thought of soups in mind.  Love soups, and during this cold spell we can't shake, they are great to warm your soul.  So while we are out running around during the day I can have a great soup waiting for us when we get home.  Soups on!



So I been cooking soups quite a bit lately experimenting with my new toy.  I typically like clear broth soups.  I just love the flavor of broths.  That didn't last long when I came across this crockpot recipe for Cheesy Potato Soup (Cooking for Two) in a Pillsbury.com email. How perfect is that?  A new tool and a new soup for it's debut.  Something about the fact that there is CHEESE in this potato soup appealed to me.  Sounds like a loaded baked potato with the bacon on the top.  Who wouldn't like that?

So as it turned out this soup was fantastic.  Creamy, cheesy, comfort food.  Perfect on a cold night with some hot rolls and a salad.  So if you are looking for a simple comfort food dish...look below for the recipe.  Oh, and if you want to feed more people, just double the recipe and use the standard 4 or 5 qt crockpot.



Cheers to my new 2 1/2 qt crockpot!  I'll be putting the large one away for another day.



Cheesy Potato Soup (Cooking for Two)
serves 3

2 slices bacon
¾ cup chopped onion
2 ½ cups diced peeled russet potatoes (about 3 small)
¼ cup chopped celery
2 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from a 32-oz carton)
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup half-and-half
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (from an 8 oz bag)

In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy. Remove from skillet, reserving fat in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towel, then refrigerate. In same skillet, cook onion in bacon fat over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
Spray 3- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix onion, potatoes, celery, broth, salt and pepper.
Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
In small bowl, beat flour and half-and-half with wire whisk until well blended; stir into soup. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 20 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in cheese until well melted. Crumble bacon; sprinkle over soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...