Sunday, December 4, 2011

Product Review: King Arthur Flour's Vermont Cheese Powder - Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese



I have a confession...I grew up eating Macaroni & Cheese
you know, the kind from the box...
the kind that's frowned upon.


What can I say, I loved it as a kid, and must confess that I still do.  I know, I know, it's not really cheese.  But I must say, I just love the flavor of it, it's sooo...cheesy.  Something I can't seem to recreate with a homemade cheese sauce, even using sharp cheddar.  Just doesn't taste the same.


So what to do?


Well, I've stumbled upon something so equal to that blue box.  While I was perusing one of my favorite sites, Kingarthurflour.com  I came across their Vermont Cheese Powder.  Intrigued I started to read about it.  It is the essence of Vermont cheddar cheese, in easy-to-use powdered form.  No preservatives, artificial colors, or artificial flavors.  


My initial response was....WOWEEE!   I can make my macaroni & cheese, stove top style!  Let's give it a try and compare it to my childhood favorite..okay, my adult favorite too.


It was also suggested that you could sprinkle it over popcorn (yum), baked potatoes (hmmm...), and over garlic bread (sounds delishhh!).  There is also a great recipe included on the package for Cheddar Cheese Crackers...now that sounds good!  You could also use it in a Cheddar Cheese Soup, or create a Cheddar Sauce.  As you see it have many uses...which make this product more appealing....although I'm partial to the mac & cheese dish.


So I quickly ordered it.  It comes in a 6oz. package and sells for $6.98.  Here what it looks like.






When I got it I immediately made some stove top mac & cheese.  I waited in anticipation as the pasta cooked, added my butter, milk, and the cheese powder.  It's white in color, so you don't have that bright orange look.   Then the moment arrived...I took a bite, right out of the pot....couldn't help myself.  Can't blame me can you?  A cook's got to sample the food!  The result?  HEAVEN!  I found such a great substitute for the blue box....yippee!  The taste was purely sharp cheddar.  The texture was smooth and silky...ah, there's my mac & cheese!


I highly recommend that if you like the "blue box" or have kids that love this stuff, try this product.  So I'm off to eat some more...!  Just kidding....okay, not really!


Here are some pics so you can see for yourself.




See how good this looks?


Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese

serves 4

8 oz of elbow macaroni
2 T butter
1/4 c milk
4 T Vermont Cheese Powder, or more to taste

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water following directions on your pasta package.  Drain pasta and return to the pot.  With the pot on low, add butter, milk, and cheese powder and stir to combine.  Serve.








4 comments:

  1. Yummm! Gotta try some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shhh dont tell... but i am a kraft girl too!
    looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks comforting, cheesy, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good. I will definitely have to try this. We loves our baked from scratch.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...