Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Easy Food Processor Pie Crust




Yum

My mom has been making pies all her life.  Every kind of cream pie you can imagine along with some excellent fruit pies thrown in the mix!

She's old school though.  She learned from her mom and went by feel when making the pie dough using a base recipe passed down from my Grandma.



Fast forward many years as an adult and I'm making the pies, and my mom is teaching me how to make the dough from scratch.  I know a lot of you are mystified by making homemade pie crust but trust me when I say, it is REALLY EASY.

Now I usually use my Grandma's recipe but this year I switched it up a bit.  I wanted something that had both butter (for flavor) and shortening (for flakiness) and is made using a food processor.  Off I go searching through my multitude of cookbooks where I found the perfect recipe that met all my wishes.  The King Arthur 200th Anniversary Cookbook is full of wonderful recipes.  I recommend you picking up a copy.  This cookbook is so fabulous and it has so many recipes in it that will fulfill ALL your baking needs.  They had a multitude of recipes for pie crust including the one I am showing you today. 




So I got out my handy dandy food processor (I use this one) and the ingredients, and made this in about 5 minutes.  No kidding.  It's so EASY in a food processor.  Dump and pulse, pulse, pulse.  Then in the frig goes the dough for 45 min to an hour and then you are ready to make pie!


Go for it!  Make your pie crust from scratch, and try this recipe.  The dough was so easy to work with, it rolled out like a dream, and held together really well when forming the edges.  The taste?  Heavenly!  The butter flavor stood out and the crust was flaky to boot!  You are sure to love this crust.



The pie you see here is my favorite Pumpkin Pie with Orange Marmalade.  I've been making this for years and the light citrusy flavor brings an extra special something to your dessert! 

Enjoy!







Easy Food Processor Pie Crust

source:  The King Arthur 200th Anniversary Cookbook

1 3/4 c All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 T sugar (optional)
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold or frozen, cut into 4 pieces
2 T solid shortening
about 6 Tablespoons ice water

Using the steel blade of the food processor, quickly blend flour, salt, sugar, butter and shortening.

Slowly pour in the ice water through the feed tube while pulsing the machine.  Process only until a mass of dough has formed on the side of the bowl.  Don't overdo it.  Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for at least an hour. (You can also freeze the dough at this point.)

Roll out and place inside pie dish.  Makes enough pastry for a 8 inch, double-crust pie or a single crust for a 9 - 11 inch pie.  This crust can be filled and baked at this point, or baked blind.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...