Saturday, November 10, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Bread



Who can resist the flavors of lemon and blueberry?

Not my mom!  I've said this many times before, and I'll say it again.....Mom is a lemon lover.  Anything lemon, bars, pie, cake, cookies, hard candies..you name it.

So obviously when I found this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Bread I bookmarked it and took it along with me on my next trip to visit mom.  First thing I made when I got there was this Lemon Blueberry Bread, so we could munch on it during my visit. 

The recipe is one adapted from JoyofBaking.com.  You can find her recipe here.  A wonderful site with how-to videos of most recipes, and a great resource.  Note: She put a lemon glaze on the top.  We chose to leave this off as it was sweet enough.  This is not really what I would consider a quick bread.  It was more like making a cake.  It's denser, and a little more involved than a quick bread, however, the results were heavenly.  Just ask my mom the lemon expert!


Kitchen tip:  When folding fresh blueberries into a batter use a delicate hand so they don't crush and stain the batter blue. Tossing blueberries in a little flour helps to prevent them from falling to the bottom of the bread during baking.


Now I'm off to find another lemon wonder for my next visit with my Mom!
Enjoy!

Lemon Blueberry Bread

adapted from JoyofBaking.com

makes 1 loaf

1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1T lemon zest
1 c fresh blueberries
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c Splenda or sugar
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 c 2% milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray the bottom and sides of a  loaf pan. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Place the blueberries in a small separate bowl and toss the berries with 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture.

In  a mixing bowl using a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter until softened.  Add the sugar and cream together until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla, making sure to scrape down the sides as needed.  

Add in the flour mixture in three additional, along with the milk, alternating.  Start and end with the flour.  Mix only until combined.  Gently fold in the blueberries.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



2 comments:

  1. Lemon and blueberry is one of my favorite flavor combinations. This looks heavenly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your Mom - I also love lemon cake/cookies etc
    And wowwwww this loaf looks sooooooooo wonderful
    Mouth-watering photos!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...