Saturday, June 6, 2015

Greek Chicken Bread Salad

 
I started out with good intentions today.

I went to a cooking class, (which was fabulous) and was totally excited to make a southwestern or "TexMex" version of enchiladas along with some Spanish rice, cause I learned a new technique with the enchiladas that I just have to try. Like now....!

This was going to be enchiladas assembly line day...with one set for dinner and another set to freeze.

After the class I decided to go shopping. Since I was in the browsing mood I took my time in a new grocery store, drooling over new items that I might like to create new dishes with. (They have a whole section of exotic fruits I have to get my hands on!) Needless to say, being in a new store trying to locate my must have list items, and me taking my time browsing I spent way to much time in the store...ho hum...


By the time I got home I was hungry (I was very bad...I didn't eat anything today!) and, I was tired. SO NOT in the mood anymore to make my enchiladas. What to do with the chicken I have and a hungry man staring at me in hopes of dinner tonight? Let's whip up a healthy salad!

I love a great Panzanella salad, and with what I had on hand I turned this into a Greek version. The bomb! We both agreed this was a quick, healthy and light salad worthy of a gold star.  


I used Greek ingredients like cucumbers, bell peppers, feta, lemon, and oregano to flavor this Greek version.  You can add anything you like such as olives, tomatoes, pepperocini, etc...make it  your own!  

Kitchen Tip:  If you don't want to go to the trouble to make the toasted bread cubes, use croutons.  They'll be fine.
   
Enjoy!


Greek Chicken Bread Salad

serves 4


2 cups cubed French bread baguette, crust removed
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
zest of 1 lemon
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 chicken cutlets, thin sliced
2 teaspoons lemon pepper
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup sliced red bell pepper (about 1 large)
1 medium English cucumber, sliced
1/3 cup feta cheese, chunks or crumbled

Preheat broiler.

Place baguette cubes on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Broil about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn over after the 1st minute.

In a small mason jar combine oregano, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon, and red pepper flakes. Shake to combine. Set aside.

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with lemon pepper. Place chicken in the skillet and cook about 4 minutes on each side (depending on thickness) or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and allow to cool 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain.

Add bread cubes, lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber and feta to a large bowl. Toss with salad vinaigrette. Top with chicken.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...