Monday, March 17, 2014

Farmhouse Scramble



Recently MGG and I were talking about trips our family's had taken when we were young.

One of my stories was about my dad driving us from California to Pawhuska, OK where my grandmother lived. We were good at taking long trips.  We often went camping all over the country every summer so our trips to Oklahoma were exciting.  

I recall that several times we would end up in Ponca City and viewed the bronze Pioneer Woman statue that was on display there.  Looking up at that tall woman and child made me feel the strength of the women that dared to move west, raising families, defending property and honor, while making a home to those she loved.

Pioneer 2.jpg

We would then travel on to Pawhuska to see my grandmother.  Pawhuska is a small town in Indian Territory, of which part of my heritage is from.   I always thought of her home as a sort of farm as she had geese, chickens, ducks, and dogs all around as well as vegetables growing (even though she actually lived in a large property in town).  My grandfather was the town sheriff and I loved visiting him down at the station.  

Grandma and Grandpa fooling around!

But what I remember the most is the breakfasts everyone would gather in the kitchen to make.  I would sit on a stool and watch the black cat clock on the wall with it's eyes and tail moving back and forth (remember those?)  Then the smells of bacon, eggs, and potatoes would hit me and I knew I was in for something special.

She would make something that I've dubbed as "Farmhouse Scramble".  Pretty much everything was all in one dish.  The onions, potatoes and eggs were all mixed together in a scramble. Some toast and sausage on the side...delicious!


It's always fun to reminisce about good times.  It's amazing what little details that you remember, and possibly some amazing food dishes too!

This is my take on grandma's Farmhouse Scramble.  You can add other vegetables if you like, to jazz it up to your family's taste.  It's that easy...but oh so good!


Farmhouse Scramble

Serves 2

3 Tbs olive oil
4 baby red potatoes, diced
¼ onion, diced
Salt & pepper
4 eggs
Splash of milk
2 Tbs cheddar cheese, shredded

Heat the oil in large nonstick ovenproof or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Fry the potatoes until tender and golden brown. Add the onion and salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Whisk together the eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add the eggs to the potatoes and onions.  Cook, gently moving the mixture from side to center with a rubber spatula, scrambling the eggs.  Sprinkle on the cheese and cook until the eggs are set but still moist.  Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...