Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A First Encounter and Pear Ginger Muffins

My first meeting of my love was in a Starbucks.  It was a blind date of sorts.  A first encounter.  My good friend was setting me up with an acquaintance of hers that she said was PERFECT for me.  Miss Matchmaker.

So we talked a little online via email.  (This was before texting!) and then progressed to several really, really long 4 hour phone calls.  Then we decided to meet.

"Make sure you meet in a public place" one friend said! "Don't go anywhere alone until you know him", another one said.  So I decided to meet at Starbucks.  I don't even drink coffee...



We met, we laughed, and we talked for another 4 hours. Then I got in his Italian sports car for a little ride (I know, I know...didn't listen to my friend's advice).  It's been heaven ever since!

One thing I remember quite well is him asking me if I wanted any "sweets" with my tea.  We ended up sharing a muffin. This simple ritual of going to a coffee house and getting a "sweet" to share has stayed with us for over 13 years.  As a matter of fact we just did that 2 days ago.



I wanted to share a muffin I created for us that resembles that "sweet" we first shared. MGG loves them and so do I. Sweet winter pears, and warm ginger grace this muffin.  A perfect 'sweet' to share with your loved ones.

Enjoy!

Pear Ginger Muffins

Serves 6


Ingredients:
1 egg
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/4 cup Canola Oil
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar or splenda
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 pear, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup chopped candied ginger
brown sugar (optional)

Directions:

Place egg, milk, and oil in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until light.  Add flour, sugar (or splenda), baking powder, and salt.  Stir until moist.  Don’t overmix…batter should be lumpy and a little thick.

Fold in chopped pear and candied ginger.

Spray a non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray.  Divide batter among the muffin cups filling most of the way full. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar on the top if desired.

Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 min.  Remove from oven and cool.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...