Thursday, July 25, 2013

Farmstyle Buttermilk Pancakes




Time for some old fashioned comfort food.  Farmstyle...

When I was a little girl my mom and dad would drive across country from California to a little town in Oklahoma to visit relatives.  My Grandmother lived in a little one main street town with a small population.  I recall that she had chickens and geese that would chase you, and a cellar out back in the ground for tornadoes.  Just like the Wizard of Oz.  Every visit we would go to another town to visit my Mom's Aunt Grace.  They lived on a lot of property.  Sort of a ranch I guess.  They visits would be full of family coming from all over Oklahoma and lots of stories and of course food.  Seems so long ago and a world away from today.

The other day I was going through my mom's recipes and found a recipe written in Aunt Grace's handwriting.  How special these old recipes are.  Family treasures to be sure.  This one was for what she called Farmstyle Buttermilk Pancakes.  I love pancakes.  I think they may be my favorite weekend breakfast food!  


The recipe looked so straight forward that I had to try them to see how they would turn out.  Would they be tall and fluffy?  Tender, and a little tangy?  Oh boy are they!

This is my new go to recipe for pancakes.  So much that we had them twice in one week.  For breakfast on the weekend, and again for dinner during the middle of the week.  They are that good.  Imagine with my aunt's own fresh eggs, and milk.  They would be even more heavenly.



Try them for yourselves and see.
Enjoy!




Farmstyle Buttermilk Pancakes

By Aunt Grace

1 c flour
2 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c buttermilk
2 T vegetable oil
1 egg

In a medium bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Make a well in the middle and add the oil.

In another bowl whisk together buttermilk and egg.

Add to dry ingredients and mix together until just moistened. Batter will be lumpy.

On a pre-heated cast iron skillet, ladle batter onto skillet for each pancake. Cook until golden brown and holes begin to appear on top. Turn on the second side and cook until golden brown
.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...