Saturday, May 4, 2013

Baked Tacos


Baked Tacos are everywhere on the Internet!

Perfect timing for Cinco De Mayo, don't you think?  Since I keep seeing them all over the place I decided to try them out.  Just to test out the method of making crispy taco shells in the oven.  I usually make (by that I mean fry) my own taco shells.  Something my Mom taught me many, many, many years ago...so I've always done it that way, but I'm open to something new, maybe a tad bit healthier also.

 
It's an easy method really, using your oven and the rack to shape the taco shells.  One this though, (and I know from experience) is that you need to watch these puppies, or your will end up with crispy breaking shells.  One minute too long could make all the difference.

I used my favorite taco filling for these.  You can find that recipe here.  The end result of making the shells was good.  They were crispy (except the 1st batch!) but and went well with filling and baking them in the oven.  I'm not convinced that this saves time, cause you add extra time on for the baking.  But it does allow you to make a ton of tacos all at once and have them done at the same time!  Isn't that nice?



Part two is filling the shells with a meat mixture and then adding cheese.  Placing them in a 9x13 pan and baking them.  This gives you a more moist taco with oozy melty cheese on top.  Ole!




Baked Tacos

12 corn tortillas
cooking spray
1 lb ground beef 
2 T taco seasoning
shredded cheese
shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, taco sauce, olives as garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Working with 6 tortillas at a time, wrap in a barely damp cloth or paper towel and microwave on High until steamed, about 30 seconds. Lay the tortillas on a clean work surface and coat both sides with cooking spray. Then carefully drape each tortilla over two bars of the oven rack. Bake at 375 degrees until crispy, 4 -5 minutes.

Prepare taco meat in a skillet using taco seasoning.  Stir meat breaking into small crumbles.


Spoon the taco meat mixture into the taco shells and place into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, standing up. Sprinkle cheese over the top of the taco meat in each shell.

Place into the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tacos are heated through. Remove from the oven and top with any optional condiments for serving.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I can't believe I have never thought of using corn tortillas to make the tacos. Maybe because I have never made tacos at all before :p. These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my kind of dinner recipe. Looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...