Saturday, March 16, 2013

Huevos Rancheros with Monterey Jack - “Gringo” Style



Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day.

It provides you with the fuel you need, the brain power to make good decisions, and the supplements after a long night's rest.  Not sure about the long night's rest (I don't seem to ever get enough!) but breakfast is mighty powerful.

I think I've told you that we have a little Mexican hole-in-the-wall restaurant down the street from us.  A local place that is very popular during breakfast time.  They serve a wonderful breakfast, almost diner style, of a mix of American and Latin flavored dishes.  I often meet a couple of girlfriends there for some spicy food and spicy talk.  One of them always gets the Huevos Rancheros.  A common dish of fried eggs served on top of a tortilla, smothered with a tomato chile sauce and served with rice and beans.

One day i got a hankering to make this popular dish at home for me and MGG.  So I did, changing some of the ingredients such as corn tortillas for low carb flour, and added mashed beans to that actual dish along with enchiladas sauce.



It turned out wonderful!  I promptly told my girlfriend (of Hispanic origin) being so proud of myself that I made them, listing my ingredients and method.  She laughed at me and said "those are Gringo style Huevos Rancheros"  hence the title of the dish!

So what's a gringo girl to do?  So, they may not be authentic, but they sure are tasty anyway.  Someday I'll get her to teach me the 'old fashioned, authentic way'. 



So I hope you will give these a try.  Perfect for lunch or dinner too. They're easy to make and taste just as good as the one's down the street, in my opinion!


Huevos Rancheros with Monterey Jack - “Gringo” Style


Serves 4

1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained such as Rotel
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
1 T lime juice
2 T water
1 16 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Cooking spray
4 large eggs
4  8” low carb flour tortillas
1/4 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Combine the tomatoes and enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add lime juice, stirring to combine.  Set aside.

Place water and beans in a microwave-safe bowl, and partially mash with a fork. Cover and microwave on full power for about 2 minutes or until hot.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium. Add eggs and cook sunny side up, leaving the yolk intact, about 3 minutes, or until the yolk is set but not hard. 

Warm the flour tortillas according to package directions. Spread about 1/3 cup of the beans over each tortilla.  Top the tortillas with an egg.  Spoon 1/3 cup sauce around each egg.  Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons of cheese.  Serve immediately.  

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious and I think I have everything I need to make this tomorrow morning! xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...