Thursday, November 1, 2012

Caprese Panini

One of my favorite salads in a sandwich! The Caprese Panini is bursting with the flavors of pesto and tomatoes and oozing with gooey Mozzarella cheese! - Slice of Southern

I love a good sandwich, especially on the weekends!

There is just something about the weekend that makes me want a nice sandwich.  I don't particularly want them during the week, just the weekend.  Curious!  Maybe it's that I'm running errands and need to eat something good, and healthy, and I can't wait to get home...and eat.  A sandwich fits the bill for being fast, healthy (if you make it that way!) and satisfying.

But not just any 'ole sandwich will do for me.  I tend to gravitate toward the 'warm or hot' sandwiches.  I like them toasted, or grilled, that's the best way for me!

So when I came across a recipe for a panini (hot=plus!) and combining the flavors of a favorite salad of mine, Caprese Salad, I just new this would be super fantabulus!


One of my favorite salads in a sandwich! The Caprese Panini is bursting with the flavors of pesto and tomatoes and oozing with gooey Mozzarella cheese! - Slice of Southern


And I was right, it was!  Easy to make really.  Just using a few ingredients, with a little help from the store.  I used a great store bought pesto sauce which is the basil part of the salad.  Fresh mozzarella cut in slices melt nicely.  And then you make this tomato mixture...to die for!  It made the whole dish, so don't be skimpy on that part.  Serve it along side some nice fruit, or a salad and you are set.  Lunch is served!

One of my favorite salads in a sandwich! The Caprese Panini is bursting with the flavors of pesto and tomatoes and oozing with gooey Mozzarella cheese! - Slice of Southern

Kitchen Tip:  If you don't have a panini press, (and many of us don't!) you can use a skillet and place another  heavy skillet on top to weigh it down.  Or...use a grill press, usually cast iron, those are nice to have...or...use a Forman grill if you have one, they work well also.



Caprese Panini

adapted from Cuisine at Home

Makes 2 sandwiches

1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon capers
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
4 slices sourdough bread, 1/2-inch thick
1/4 cup homemade or purchased pesto
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced 


Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes,
capers, and pepper flakes; saute until just starting to break down, about
3 minutes.

Off heat, add vinegar. Brush oil on one side of each slice of bread;
spread the other sides with 1 tablespoon pesto. Arrange mozzarella and
tomato mixture on two slices of bread, then sprinkle with salt and
pepper. Top with another slice of bread, oiled side up. Toast sandwiches
on both sides.



shared with: Weekend Potluck

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...