Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steaks Topped with a Sweet and Spicy Salad



Are you more of a chicken eater or a beef eater?

I grew up in a meat and potatoes household, but these days I eat chicken most days.  Every now and then I break down and pull out the BEEF.  YUM,  love me some beef.  Always will.  It really is my favorite thing.  Steak. Yup. Steak.

But I'm particular about my beef and like to choose lean cuts of meat.  Sorry, but Rib Eyes and Tri Tip aren't my thing.  Every time I bite in to either of these I get fat in my mouth. YUK! Sorry, but I hate that.  My favorite is Filet Mignon.  LOVE IT!

MGG is a big fish eater.  Steak is a rarity for him but he does love it too.  Since we don't eat beef that often when I'm cooking steak, it better be good!  I'm mean if you going to all the trouble of getting a good cut, checking the marbling etc.etc...you want it to come out juicy and tasty!

So let's make some healthy steak, along with a healthy salad.  Sounds good huh?
So how about putting the salad on top of the steak?  The presentation is nice, and some of the dressing runs down on the the steak giving it some good flavor.  Sounds like a good way to eat your beef and vegetables without much hassle.

I found this recipe of Rachael Ray's and gave it a little tweak.  It came out moist, juicy, and tasty just as promised.  This recipe is really all about the dressing.  Sweet and spicy.  It totally makes this dish.  Make sure...make sure to get some on the steak, it's really the only flavoring for the steak.  Also, make sure to keep any leftovers in a small jar...it's that good!

So here's how you do it.  

You will want to take some restaurant cut sirloins (lean meat) and let them sit out on the counter to take off the chill.  In the meantime you can heat the grill pan and make the dressing.

In a small bowl add minced garlic, ketchup, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, and white wine vinegar.  



Pour extra virgin olive oil into the bowl and whisk until emulsified.


love these cute jars!




Salt and pepper your steaks and drizzle with some olive oil on both sides.  Place in the hot grill pan.  Cook on each side about 6 min for medium, less for rare.



While this was cooking I chopped my lettuce and sliced my tomato.

Remove from pan and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

Slice steaks against the grain and on an angle to create nice long strips.

Place strips on each plate.  Top with lettuce and tomato.  Drizzle with dressing, making sure to get some on the steak as well.



Serve and enjoy!  A healthy dinner in no time at all.






Steaks Topped with a Sweet and Spicy Salad

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray

Serves:4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 sirloin steaks, restaurant cut
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1/3 cup
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 large heart romaine, chopped
  • 1 tomato, cut into slices
Directions:

Let the steaks sit at room temperature, to take the chill off, while you heat a grill pan to medium high.

In a small bowl combine the garlic, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.  Whisk in 1/3 cup of olive oil.   Season with salt and pepper.

Drizzle steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place in a hot grill pan. Cook the steaks about 6 minutes on each side for medium.  You can do less time for rare.  Remove the steaks to a cutting board and let rest about 5 minutes before slicing. (I chopped my lettuce and tomato while the steak was cooking.)

Slice the steaks on an angle, against the grain.  Arrange on serving plates.  Top with the lettuce and tomatoes.  Drizzle on the dressing.


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...