Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fast & Fresh: Marinated Heirloom Tomato Salad



One of summer's the most versatile fresh vegetables is the TOMATO!

To this day my mom plants a tomato plant every year in anticipation of the luscious, juicy, ripe red tomatoes.  Oh, and my sister planted a Roma tomato plant this year.  I LOVE Roma's.  Unfortunately, so do her squirrels!  I haven't tried my hand at planting tomatoes yet but I sure love to eat them!

On a recent visit to my local farmer's market I spotted a bunch of HEIRLOOM TOMATOES.  All colors, shapes, and sizes.  I was in heaven.  Love those things!  Must be the color varieties.  They just lend such a pretty palate to your dishes.

So what to create?  I wanted a simple side dish that would highlight the pretty colors, and fresh flavors of the tomatoes.  So I found this recipe for Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes Salad from Sunset Magazine.  It was perfect!

The taste was light and refreshing.  The marinade has a ratio that is more vinegar to oil, so it is nice and tangy.  SO YUMMY!  This would be great as a side dish to a picnic, a potluck dish, or along side a grilled dish.  We served it along side my Grilled Chicken and Avocado Pitas.  Fabulous, if I may say so.

So what can be more Fast or Fresh than this???

Try it, you'll love it!






Marinated Heirloom Tomato Salad
Source: Sunset Magazine 

Ingredients
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
Salt and black pepper


Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Rinse and core tomatoes and slice 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Arrange in layers in platter or serving dish.  Drizzle vinegar mixture and sprinkling mint, basil, salt, and pepper evenly.

Chill for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.


Linked to:  fresh food friday

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE heirloom tomatoes! Not only are the colors gorgeous...the taste is like no other...delicious!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Fusion Fridays! Come back next Friday to see my favorites and to link up again! http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The colors are just amazing! I was wanting a tomato at lunch today.

    Frugally Green Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. There aren't many things better than wonderful tomatoes, especially when they're marinated!

    Lovely photo.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm allergic but that looks great

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...