Sunday, November 9, 2014

Honeycrisp Apple and Romaine Salad


I like to shop at grocery stores that I don't frequent often to see the different variety of items they sell.

The problem with that is that I'm usually there for hours on end checking out all the food. Mouth watering as I discover new items, and a cart so full of ingredients for new dishes, that I don't know what came over me!



On one such shopping expedition, I came a across some salad kits by Dole. I had seen these being used around the blogesphere and spotted one that I recall being praised as particularly good. Dole's Endless Summer Salad Kit. I don't care if it isn't summer any longer, I wanted to try this salad kit and that's what I did. So I grabbed some really nice Honeycrisp Apples and headed for home with a Harvest salad idea in mind.

Soooo glad I bought this kit. I must say that it's the bomb with the flavors and the freshness! Filled with Red Cabbage, Romaine, Carrots, a Summer Vinaigrette, Swiss and Gruyere Cheeses, Roasted Sunflower Kernels, Artisan-Style Croutons, Pepper and Herb Seasoning. You don't need much more than this. Just a small addition of some sliced apples, candied walnuts, and some red pepper for a little zip, and you have a wonderful summer turned harvest salad!



It was perfect to use what was included in the kit. I only left out the croutons and fresh herb seasoning, which I kept for another use. Their summer vinaigrette is also a winner! The perfect accompaniment for the apples in the salad.

Thanks to Dole for making such a great salad kit. I hope to try other versions soon. I hope you enjoy a nice harvest salad this fall.





Honeycrisp Apple and Romaine Salad

serves 4

1 pkg. Dole Endless Summer Salad Kit
Swiss and Gruyere Cheese, Shredded (from salad kit)
Roasted sunflower kernels (from salad kit)
1/4 cup roughly chopped candied walnuts
1 Honeycrisp apple
Summer Vinaigrette (from the kit)
About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
About 1/4 tsp. pepper
red pepper, a pinch

Cut sides off apple into 4 pieces, leaving the core. Slice the apple pieces thinly with a mandoline or a knife. 


Place salad greens into a large bowl.  Add cheese, and sunflower seed from the kit to the bowl.  Add the candied walnuts as well.  Dress salad with Summer Vinaigrette tossing to coat.  

Add sliced apples to salad and toss to coat. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper.  Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...