Saturday, July 19, 2014

Simple Chocolate Chip Scones


I'm up and running out the door early today.

I've got an exciting day planned for myself and MGG.  We are meeting up with some friends and going to the California Science Center to see the Pompeii exhibit.  So since I'm always starving when I wake up I don't usually skip breakfast.  This calls for a quick and easy recipe.

I've got just the thing.  Simple Chocolate Chip Scones. PLUS, these scones are a great grab and go meal. Perfect for today!  MGG loves things that are grab and go so he can snack on them on the road.  

(perfectly light and fluffy scones!)

So with a little help from an all purpose baking mix (I used King Arthur's Flour All Purpose Baking Mix) and some mini chocolate chips (my favorite!) you can have these whipped up in no time.  Plus they taste fantastic!  

Have you tried mini chocolate chips yet?  It is the perfect way of getting that wonderful chocolate flavor you crave but still keeping down the calories, fat and sugars in your food.  I love that!  


So, I'm off.  The scones are baked and packed and ready to go for our day trip to the museum.  They smell wonderful, and (because I couldn't help my self and tasted tested one...LOL!) they are perfectly moist, light and fluffy, and sweet.  A great quick and easy scone to make anytime.

Enjoy!



Simple Chocolate Chip Scones

Makes: 1 Dozen

3 cups baking mix (I used King Arthur's Flour All Purpose Baking Mix)
1/4 c sugar or 2 T Splenda Blend
1/2 t cinnamon
2 T Butter, chilled cold, and cut into small pieces
2/3 c fat-free half and half
1 large egg
2 T mini chocolate chips
1 T fat-free half and half (for tops)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a large bowl combine baking mix, sugar, cinnamon.  Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or two forks, until small crumbs form.  Add half and half and egg and mix until just combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop mix in about 1/4 cupfuls on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush the tops of each scone with half and half.   Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Allow to cool a few minutes and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...