Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yogurt Waffles with Honey Cream


Waffles, Waffles, Waffles

My mom is the waffle queen.  She LOVES them.  She doesn't like them overly sweet.  She likes them with pecans, and will take them any day over pancakes.  She even loves them for dinner!

Me?  Now, I'm more of a pancake person.  Don't get me wrong, I love me a good waffle.  It just doesn't get top billing for my favorite breakfast treat.



One of the best waffles I've had was at a little beach restaurant up in Santa Barbara.  It was a HUGE Belgian waffle topped with a gazillion berries, sprinkled with powdered sugar.  YUM!

So the other day I was looking around a favorite cooking store (heaven!) and spotted a nice waffle maker on sale, which reminded me that I have one and need to use it more!  Next to it was a book called "Waffles - sweet and savory recipes for every meal".  What caught my eye was the to-die-for waffle on the cover (can you say Smores?) and I promptly bought the book.  It was out of my control.  Really.

So in looking through the many many wonderful recipes I found one that I'd like to try first.  Made with yogurt, it appealed to my sense of being healthier! (I keep telling myself that) Less sugar, not laden with syrup.  Just a dollop of some honey cream.  Sounds good huh?



Well, I have to tell you these are the most tender waffles I've ever made.  Better than buttermilk.  I swear.  You HAVE to try them and see for yourself.  I made a large batch and MGG and I each had one.  The honey cream was tangy and a little sweet.  Just perfect on top of the most tender waffle.  Since we had leftovers I separated them into quarters and froze them.  That way we can pop them in the toaster during the week and have a nice quick breakfast treat, with some peanut butter or cream cheese on top!  They were perfect even frozen!!  My Mom would even be proud.

Do yourself, and your family, a favor.....make these waffles!


Yogurt Waffles with Honey Cream

Adapted from the cookbook “Waffles” by Tara Duggan

Makes 4 waffles

For the Honey Cream:
1 c plain yogurt
¼ c honey

Waffles:
2 large eggs
1 c plain yogurt
½ - ¾ c 2% milk
½ c canola oil
2 T honey
1 t vanilla
1 ½ c flour
1 T brown sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
¼ t salt
Honey for serving

In a bowl mix together yogurt and honey to make the honey cream.  Set aside.

Preheat waffle maker.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, milk (1/2 c to start), oil, honey and vanilla.  In another large bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Make a well in the center and pour in the egg mixture.  Whisk until mostly smooth, there may be a few lumps.  If batter seems too thick (mine was) add another splash or two of milk and stir to combine.

Ladle batter into the waffle maker, spreading batter to the edges.  Cook until done about 3-4 minutes.  Remove from waffle maker and serve right away, or keep warm in a low temp oven.  Repeat making the remaining waffles.   Top with a dollop of honey cream and a drizzle of honey.


Linked to the following parties:  Weekend Potluck

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...